Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Book Report

I am not a big fan of bloggers who continually give book reports on their blogs, but I will do so for this post. I have read different books from the Leading Pastor Series that have been great. This book follows the tradition. I am only into the first few chapters but it deals with an area I feel the "church" needs to reconsider. I mentioned it in my most recent post, but again the question is, "why are we here as a church"? The book looks at the entire story of Joshua and examines his leadership time. He makes a statement that, like the Isrealites, the church of today has spent to much time wandering in the wilderness. Their focus is lost. They mark time by doing things they have always done, not pursuing any particular direction. Because of this, the church cannot see beyond their own needs. Because of this misdirection, statistics say that churches reach their peak well before they reach 2 decades old. God help me to regain the real focus of the church. I must admit as a pastor it is easy to fall into this mentality and be only a mediator among the saints and fail to be a mentor to the sinner.

God help me as a pastor and leader. Without someone to keep the vision real and fresh before the people, people will perish. "God, keep me real so my vision will stay fresh."

No comments: