Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Okey O. McBride, Jr.


Flowers from New Columbia GMC. Thanks
for your thoughtfulness.
Justin, Papa and Kayla viewing grandpa.
Meal time. Pastor Yancey co-officiated the
funeral with my dad.

This past Friday, we received word that my grandfather had finally lost the battle with Parkinson's Disease. It had been a long hard battle, but today he has been granted eternal
relief from the pain and suffering he knew for so long. My grandpa was a spiritual hero to me. The thing that sticks out to me the most, was that he was a man of prayer. Aside from my immediate family's prayers, my grandpa's prayers helped me get my life back in order and answer the call to preach that I had been running from. Talking with him for just a moment, there was no doubt he was a deeply spiritual man. I will cherish many memories of grandpa, but I will greatly miss his prayers. I have found that the consistent prayers of people are a great help in our walk through life, and I just lost a friend who faithfully prayed for me, and many others on a day-to-day basis. Thank you grandpa for your example and love. An old Wendy Bagwell song that grandpa liked is my prayer more today than ever before. It simply goes, "I firmly promise you that I meet you by the river, on the banks of that evergreen shore..."

1 comment:

The Youngs said...

Matt, I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. I lost my Grandfather in 2005 to Parkinsons. It is a tough disease. We'll be praying for you.