Monday, March 13, 2006

UBC Choir

We were privileged to have the Union Bible College Select Choir at our church yesterday morning. They were awsome. That was definetly the best choir that I have heard in a long time. Then again, I have heard that many recently. Their sound was beautiful. They had a 9 piece orchastra that consisted on a cello, 2 violins, 2 flutes, a trumpet, a french horn, a saxaphone, and kettle drums. The thing that stuck out to me was that they sang songs that people knew for the most part. Songs like, "When He was on the cross, I was on His mind" and "The Lighthouse" etc. I am convinced that a choir service is much better recieved by a congregation where the songs that are sung are familiar to those listening. There may be a select few in our congregations that like the "high-flutin'" songs that sound like Bach's 5,6,7 movements, but on the whole those types of songs do not connect with the people. When I come to a church service I want to worship God and I worship God by connecting with the songs. I don't come to church for a concert and to see what level of songs the choir is capable of singing. So much for my ramblings. These thoughts are just deep rooted beliefs that I felt were confirmed yesterday morning, not only to myself, but also to the 200 people who were setting in the congregation.

6 comments:

Aaron said...

Amen brother!

Anonymous said...

My apologies that I cannot echo the sentiment of you and "Aaron." I do feel I have a worthwhile opinion - I happen to be an accomplished musician who has been involved with religious music since I started playing in church 20 years ago at the age of 9. The particular mindset in your blog is one that really bothers me and a host of others. Yes, familiar songs are great (I can also "connect" with them.), but I see a pattern where it is easier to only use the "old, familiar" songs because it takes no effort to listen or prepare. Granted, I see no reason to do away with them, but some of the Gospel songs have been so overused, I can hardly bear to hear them one more time. They do not have the timeless feature as hymns do. Doing "familiar" songs all the time is "rutlike," and I resent comfort zones. I also dislike the fact that most of the Gospel songs are purely subjective not objective in their worship. I do not want to always sing/play about my feelings or what God has done, but worship Him for Who He is and not just what I get from Him. The reference to "high-flutin songs like Bach's 5,6,7 movements" is uneducated. His works were not written in "movements" and were greatly used of God. (That was in a day when musicianship was appreciated, and southern gospel was not dumbing down our worship.)No, I also do not judge a choir by how well they can do, but I like to see ability AND SKILL that has been developed for God. Translate that to your line of work - Some people do not like ministers to "stray" from the KJV or use Greek words. (I appreciate ministers stretching themsleves and others.) Since I am not a preacher and did not study theology as you probably have, I am careful about voicing strong opinions in that field. It helps keep credibility. On a lighter note, I stop by your blog every once in awhile and really enjoy your humor!

Jon Plank said...

For the record...I did not write the previous "anonymous" comment.

I've read the music chat and it reminds me of all the nonsensical discussions I encountered on this topic in my younger years. If I learned anything about music during those years, it was to avoid seminar sessions where the topic is "music" as much as possible. Most such sessions were time wasted with people "biblicizing" the genre's of music they personally liked and condemning genre's they didn't like--no substance whatsoever. This is often done with more than just music. Applause can be as much a form of praise to God as it is a form of praise to an athlete or a performer. It's the way a group of people audibly praises someone in the 21st century. As with music, some prefer a different style of audible praise and "biblicize" their preference. When it comes to choir music, I'm not selfish about my favorite genre's. From Bach to Glick--as long as the choir performs with a reasonable level of quality, it's perfectly fine with me!

Aaron said...

ummmm... Amen again!

Kimberly said...

Well, Matt, thanks for your vote of confidence! We enjoyed being at your church very much, and God did help us! Thanks for letting me stay at your house, also. It was lots of fun seeing you, Vonnie, and the kids again. Love you all bunches! By the way, I wonder if the "anonymous" was even at our choir service? :)

Anonymous said...

Bluegrass music is the BEST!!!! Bach could never beat that!